Portal Plant Operator
TITLE: Portable Plant Operator
This position is responsible to provide operational, mechanical, and technical support by operating plant equipment that produces consistent quality products and services in sand and gravel mining operations. Operations will occur at varying locations. Travel to other plant locations will be frequent and recurring.
Essential Functions Responsibilities: The duties described below are indicative of what might be asked to perform. This is not an exhaustive list of job responsibilities and therefore other duties may be assigned:
1. Learns, understands, and complies with applicable plant safety rules and regulations at all times. Holds self and others accountable for safe operations, wears required PPE, may execute and will participate in regular MSHA and safety training/testing. 2. Performs inspections and accurately completes daily mobile equipment reports; perform duties safely, responsibly and proficiently while observing all safety, health and environmental rules and practices. Must follow established traffic patterns avoiding tire hazards and other hazardous conditions and promptly report any unsafe conditions. Reports accidents or incidents immediately.
3. Operates and troubleshoots all components of the Plant, including screeners, dryers, elevators, feeders, chutes, manual and automated controls, and bag lines in a safe manner.
4. Learns, understands, and executes effects of screen changes on product quality and specifications. Understands and accounts for differences in geology and resulting input gradations at each site as they affect production and quality specifications.
5. Communicates with other operators to coordinate materials handling to keep operations running efficiently.
6. Safely operates dump truck onsite to move bulk products within processing areas.
7. Safely operates end loader to move bulk product into the portable plant, to appropriate stock piles, and as required for customer pickup.
8. Safely operates fork lift, to move bagged product to storage areas and as required for customer product pickup.
9. Performs maintenance and repair of all equipment based on the pre and post shift inspections as well as performing all preventative maintenance. This includes inspecting the condition of the equipment and documenting items in need of repair or service; diagnosing problems and performing mechanical repair and maintenance; replacing or repairing defective parts using hand tools, power tools, cutting torches, and welding equipment; rebuilding or fabricating parts; reading technical manuals; ordering parts from outside suppliers within level of authority.
10. Change screens and conduct all necessary documentation, including inventory levels of all consumable components.
11. Completes production and inventory measurements as directed. Measures and gauges to ensure optimal use of plant assets.
12. Directs the teardown and setup of the portable plant. Ensures all components and equipment is roadworthy, secure, and clean prior to and during mobilization.
13. Communicates with other employees regarding status of work in process to ensure smooth operation of the order fulfillment and shipping process.
14. Reacts quickly to problem situations and to directions given by management.
15. Occasionally will cut, weld, maintain & repair equipment – skills have to be developed and maintained in required repair and maintenance areas as required.
16. Occasionally will conduct sieve analysis tests on product in accordance with established procedures.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Reports directly to Portable Plant Manager. Works closely with others in Order Logistics, Production, Sales, and Accounting, and frequently with other employees in the office. Regular, daily contact with employees and management, by phone, e-mail, and in person.
Performance Expectations and Competencies:
Work performed is expected to meet or exceed guidelines for safety, quality, accuracy, timeliness and thoroughness. Must be reliable and timely in reporting to work. Competencies include the ability to: think and work safely, interact professionally with external contacts (customers, freight vendors, drivers, etc.), have the mechanical aptitude to accurately troubleshoot and resolve order and logistics problems, gain the trust and respect of co-workers and management, communicate effectively and develop good working relationships with others, conduct self with honesty and integrity, take initiative to notice what needs to be done, willingness to learn new duties and responsibilities, and good judgment to act appropriately.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Observes all safety rules and regulations, conducts self in a safe manner at all times.
2. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
3. Ability to comprehend, retain and effectively carry out policies and procedures.
4. Ability to use mainframe computer system and personal computer with, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and other company specific software.
5. Ability to monitor and operate machinery for proper functioning.
6. Ability to safely operate and control equipment operations or systems, in various weather conditions.
7. Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
8. Ability to understand verbal and written instructions/directives, training materials, and other work document; and execute action accordingly.
9. The ability to troubleshoot causes of operating errors and deciding a course of action.
10. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, and other techniques to maximize the effective manufacture and distribution of products.
11. Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
12. Ability to prepare written reports and documents and maintain accurate files records.
13. Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize multiple tasks and demands. Ability to understand, interpret, apply and explain policies and procedures.
14. Ability to perform detailed work accurately in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction or supervision.
15. Ability to independently initiate, prioritize, perform or solve problems related to deviations in work assigned in order to meet fixed or fluctuating deadlines and achieve work objectives.
16. Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
17. Ability to travel as needed by the Company.
Minimum Requirements: High School Diploma/equivalent. Post-secondary education preferred.
Previous mechanical experience required. Previous experience in asphalt, concrete, sand, and gravel operations, or manufacturing preferred.
Previous operation of heavy equipment or forklift required.
Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and computerized inventory, scheduling, and job packet systems (Great Plains experience preferred).
Required valid driver’s license and insurability, and ability to travel by air to other locations. Must obtain CDL within 30 days of hire. Must obtain MSHA certification upon hire. Must have Forklift certification at time of hire.
Must be able to work both independently and as a team member, and multi-task effectively. Must be able to interact professionally with other people by telephone and in person, follow written and verbal instructions, write legibly for logs and documentation, perform basic math operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions and decimals), use a computer proficiently for data entry and retrieval, and operate a multi-line telephone system and other standard office equipment. Must be willing to learn new skillsets to meet customer needs.
Expected Schedule: The schedule for this position will be up to 12 hour shifts for up to 14 days on, followed by 14 days off. Some 14 day cycles may be worked in a different plant location, depending upon production needs. Due to the nature of the position, being at work during these hours is critical as others depend on this position. Overtime is mandated when scheduled. Travel to other plants will be consistent and recurring.
Physical Environment: The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, sitting, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 100 pounds), fingering, grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
Operates levers, shifts gears, presses pedals, and turns steering wheel to operate necessary equipment. Operates hand and small tools to perform mechanical and equipment maintenance and repairs.
Working Conditions: Work is performed mostly outdoors with exposure to weather (heat, cold, humidity, rain, snow, etc), dust, noise, moving mechanical parts, and vibrations. Requires excellent eye-hand coordination for operation of equipment and data entry. May be required to sit for extended periods of time, and move in and out of equipment periodically throughout the workday, onto uneven terrain.