Scale/Customer Service Associate
Scale/Customer Service Associate
This position is responsible to provide support and assistance in a sand and gravel mining operation. This position will assist basic accounting functions, customer service, order fulfillment, and coordination of delivery, when necessary. This position will also provide operational support by operating forklift for customer pickups, and to move product materials through our production and delivery process when necessary.
Essential Functions Responsibilities:
The duties described below are indicative of what might be asked to perform. This is not an exhaustive list of job responsibilities and therefore other duties may be assigned:
1. Interacts with customers and processes daily cash sales orders at scale. This includes understanding and operating scale equipment and systems to weigh trucks, handling of cash/checks, and daily cash drawer reconciliations.
2. Safely operates fork lift and compact end loader, to move product for customer product pickup/loading, and to move product to storage as needed.
3. Learns, understands, and complies with applicable plant safety rules and regulations at all times. Holds self and others accountable for safe operations, wears required PPE, participates in regular MSHA and safety training/testing.
4. Provides receptionist/front counter duties in the office as needed. Greets visitors, answers incoming telephone calls promptly, answers questions or directs callers/visitors to appropriate individuals. Ensures that visitor’s log is completed, issues PPE if needed. (This may be a backup function at some locations)
5. Enters daily production information and quality test information into system and runs recurring reports. Runs sieve analysis on product as assigned.
6. Coordinates orders with portable plant manager and operators for production scheduling and order status. Updates systems accordingly.
7. Utilizes order entry system for local, domestic and international order fulfillment according to established procedures – from entry of quotes to daily orders/charge tickets, release and shipment of products. Keeps system up to date with various related information, as scheduled and as needed.
8. Corresponds with customers on their order questions and changes via phone, email, internet, etc. Professionally addresses and resolves problems/complaints within scope of responsibility, and documents correspondence and results. Refers unresolved issues to Sales Manager.
9. Prepares orders for shipment according to established procedures, using order entry software and spreadsheets. Prepares bills of lading and other documentation, notifies carriers of ready shipments, and coordinates scheduling of pick-ups/deliveries. Codes and approves freight invoices for payment.
10. Prepares batches of orders to invoice according to established schedule and procedures. Works with Accounting as needed to problem solve on orders filled and shipped. Maintains customer sales tax exemption forms.
11. Obtains freight rates from various freight brokers (phone, email, internet, etc.) for the sales team. This includes a wide variety of transportation methods – flatbed trucks, vans, LTL common carriers, dump trucks, pneumatic trucks, railroad cars, overseas shipping containers, etc.
12. Prepares detailed documentation for international orders – customs, etc. Tracks these orders once shipped to ensure they are delivered as planned. Updates export shipment spreadsheets. Communicates with freight vendors and customers as needed to expedite or problem solve export orders.
13. Files correspondence, reports, and other materials. May file confidential data.
14. Assists others in the office with special projects and other work as assigned.
15. Communicates with other employees regarding status of work in process to ensure smooth operation of the order fulfillment and shipping process.
16. Reacts quickly to problem situations and to directions given by management.
17. Other duties as assigned.
Reports directly to Portable Plant Manager. Works closely with others in Order Logistics, Production, Maintenance, Sales, the Accounting Department, and frequently with other employees in the office. Regular, daily contact with customers and vendors, by phone, e-mail, and in person.
Performance Expectations and Competencies:
Work performed is expected to meet or exceed guidelines for safety, quality, accuracy, timeliness and thoroughness. Must be reliable and timely in reporting to work. Competencies include the ability to: think and work safely, interact professionally with external contacts (customers, freight vendors, drivers, etc.), accurately troubleshoot and resolve order and logistics problems, gain the trust and respect of co-workers and management, communicate effectively and develop good working relationships with others, conduct self with honesty and integrity, take initiative to notice what needs to be done and the good judgment to act appropriately.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Observes all safety rules and regulations, conducts self in a safe manner at all times.
2. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor when dealing with the public.
3. Ability to comprehend, retain and effectively carry out policies and procedures.
4. Ability to safely operate and control equipment operations or systems, in various weather conditions.
5. Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
6. Ability to understand verbal and written instructions/directives, training materials, and other work document; and execute action accordingly.
7. The ability to troubleshoot causes of operating errors and deciding a course of action.
8. Ability to use mainframe computer system and personal computer with, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, accounting software (GP).
9. Ability to prepare written reports and documents and maintain accurate files records.
10. Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize multiple tasks and demands. Ability to understand, interpret, apply and explain policies and procedures.
11. Ability to perform detailed work accurately in compliance with stringent time limits with minimal direction or supervision.
12. Ability to independently initiate, prioritize, perform or solve problems related to deviations in work assigned in order to meet fixed or fluctuating deadlines and achieve work objectives.
13. Ability to work the allocated hours of the position.
14. Ability to travel as needed by the Company.
15. Knowledge of modern office practice and procedures including business correspondence, and filing techniques. Correct English usage, including grammar, spelling, punctuation, filing systems, and vocabulary covering common administrative terminology.
16. Ability to operate a variety of modern office equipment, computer terminals, utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, and PowerPoint software, and peripheral equipment such as facsimile machines, printers, scanners, and copiers.
High School Diploma/equivalent. Associates degree in accounting or related business area is preferred.
Previous operation of heavy equipment or forklift required.
Recent office experience in customer service with basic accounting experience required. Previous experience with order processing/logistics, freight or production scheduling, utilizing a sophisticated computer system preferred.
Must be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and computerized order processing and accounting systems. Great Plains experience preferred.
Required valid driver’s license and insurability, and ability to travel to other locations.
Must be able to work both independently and as a team member, and multi-task effectively.
Must be able to interact professionally with other people by telephone and in person, follow written and verbal instructions, write legibly for logs and documentation, perform basic math operations (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions and decimals), use a computer proficiently for data entry and retrieval, and operate a multi-line telephone system and other standard office equipment. Must be willing to learn new skillsets to meet customer needs.
Scheduling will be in accordance with portable operation needs (up to 12 hours per day) while they are on-site. This may include weekend work to support plant mobilization requirements. Customer pick up hours/office hours during periods of non-operation will be less hours per day. Hours will generally be scheduled between 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. weekdays. Scheduling may vary week to week based on company needs.
The physical and work environments described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
The duties of this job include physical activities such as stooping, kneeling, standing, reaching, sitting, walking, lifting and/or move (up to 100 pounds), fingering, grasping, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, and repetitive motions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
Operates levers, shifts gears, presses pedals, and turns steering wheel to operate necessary equipment.
Work will mostly be performed indoors in an office setting. Work is also performed outdoors with exposure to weather (heat, cold, humidity, rain, snow, etc.), dust, noise, moving mechanical parts, and vibrations. Requires excellent eye-hand coordination for operation of equipment and data entry. May be required to sit for extended periods of time, and move in and out of equipment periodically throughout the workday, onto uneven terrain.