Sybase Database Engineer
You will be responsible for designing and programming a small module or a large component and
designing a feature, set of features, or whole feature area. You will work independently and
contribute to the immediate team and to other teams across business. You will lead design
discussions, technical analysis & inputs to decisions, and mentor others.
In this role, you will:
• Capture system level requirements by brainstorming with Sr. Architects, Data Scientists, Businesses & Product Managers
• Engage in technical discussions; participate in technical designs and present technical ideas through white boarding
• Execute in a fast pace delivery mode and focus in delivering tasks to meet the product release goals
• Possess advanced domain knowledge and show great customer focus.
• Articulate the need for scalability and understand the importance of improving quality through testing.
• Be an expert in writing code that meets standards and delivers the desired functionality using the technology selected for the project
• Drive design reviews, define interfaces between code modules, and apply existing technology to Designs.
• Understand performance parameters and assess application performance.
• Be an expert in assessing application performance and optimizing/improving it through design and coding best practices
• Be responsible for providing technical leadership and defining, developing, and evolving software in a fast paced and Agile development environment using the latest software development
technologies and infrastructure
• Provide guidance to a team of 5 to 7 developers with either planning and execution and/or design architecture using Agile methodologies such as SCRUM
• Work with Product Line Leaders (PLLs) to understand product requirements & vision
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
• A minimum of 9 years of professional experience in database administration/development in MS SQL server / Sybase.
• Strong experience in database development in MS SQL Server , Sybase
• Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues etc.
• Experience in Performance Tuning, Query Optimization, using Performance Monitor, SQL Profiler and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
• Experience in performance tuning queries, JDBC, ODBC.NET libraries and OR mapping tools (JPA, Hibernate etc)
• Experience with Linux/UNIX, bash/ksh scripting, and Perl/Python.
• Ability to detect and troubleshoot SQL Server related CPU, memory, I/O, disk space and other resource contention.
• Strong knowledge of backups, restores, recovery models, database shrink operations, DBCC commands, Clustering, Database mirroring, Replication.
• Expert experience in implementing operational automation.
• Strong knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching. How statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
• Knowledge of SQL Server tools ( Profiler, DTA, SSMS, SAC, SSCM, PerfMon, DMVs, system sprocs)
• SQL Development – ability to write and troubleshoot SQL Code and design ( stored procs, functions, tables, views, triggers, indexes, constraints )
• Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns and coding Principles.
• Solid acquaintance with windows server, security delegation, SPNs, storage components.
• Documentation skills for processes and procedures ( creating KBs, runbooks, topology etc )
• SQL Database Operational support to tech users
• Knowledge of 3rd party DBA tools and applications ( e.g redgate, idera, SCOM, Erwin )
• Knowledge in a scripting language like Powershell, VBScript, WSH
•Demonstrates clarity of thinking to work through limited information and vague problem definitions
•Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas
•Proactively identifies and removes project obstacles or barriers on behalf of the team
•Shares knowledge, power, and credit, establishing trust, credibility, and goodwill
• Able to work under minimal supervision
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with senior leadership with confidence and clarity.
• Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility
• Skilled in providing oversight and mentoring team members. Shows ability to effectively delegate Work.