Sr. Electrical Distribution design engineer
Description, Purpose, or Summary
Senior Engineer – Plant Electric Power Distribution System Design performs a range of activities covering; requirements management, systems design, analysis, component and equipment sizing and selection as well as develop plant, system, and component specifications with the associated functional, performance, and environmental qualification plans as well as participation in cross- discipline reviews and work planning. Scope includes; nuclear and turbine island, balance of plant and yard.
• Responsible engineer for a variety of plant electric power distribution systems (EPDS) covering; AC and DC electric systems, components, and equipment
• Scope includes medium and low voltage as well as DC to high frequency AC equipment and components such as; switchgear, switchboards, load or power centers, motor control centers, lighting and power service panels, uninterruptible power supplies, inverters, batteries, adjustable speed drives, digital protective relays, motors, circuit breakers, trip units, disconnect switches, contactors, switches, relays, cable and wire, conduit, ducts, raceway, tray, grounding, lightning, and cathodic protection, building and containment penetrations, etc.
• Prepare and maintain under change control and configuration management various technical documents; requirements, application selection criteria, calculations [sizing, load, heat, vibration], datasheets, drawings, diagrams [one and three line, interconnection wiring, schematics, function block logic], databases [algorithms, function generators, input/output and set points], modelling analysis and simulation code or software, technical notes, specifications and plans [design, qualification, test, purchase]
• Ensure systems, components, and equipment designs meet requirements for; functionality, performance, qualification [environmental, seismic, embedded digital], interfaces, human factors, safety hazards, reliability, cyber security, etc.
• Perform detailed oversight, review, and verification of deliverables from; GEH, architect engineering firms, and suppliers to ensure their; adequacy, accuracy, completeness, and compliance with requirements; design basis, practices, tool use, configuration and documentation management, etc.
• Promote incorporation of operational experience, lessons learned, and best practices
• Perform cost-benefit optioneering or trade-off studies for technical risk, function, performance, margin, and cost optimization
• Ensure design bases is adequately documented and conforms with applicable nuclear [DOE, NRC, CNSC, UK ONR, IAEA] regulations, guidance, generic design certifications, licensing commitments, and applicable industry standards [ASME, IEEE, IEC]
• Use requirements management to ensure that applicable regulations, industry standards, contract requirements as well as design documents are properly administered
• Use variety of systems and tools for; requirements, design [Visio], analysis [ETAP], change, configuration, and document management
• Identify, confirm, document, and lead resolution of technical issues
• Provide technical oversight throughout design release to manufacturing or supplier, fabrication, assembly, production test, validation, integrated system validation test as well as site installation and test
• Drive standard work with; plan, schedule, scope definition, work processes, controls, and tools
• Ensure deliverables are; on-spec., on-budget, and on-schedule with high “Say-Do” ratio.
• Establish and maintain close, responsive, productive and quality working relationships within and between team members, engineering, support functions, business project management and customers' engineers and plant staff to successfully drive project completion and resolve emergent issues
• Prepare technical bid proposals and change orders
• Prepare learning sessions for knowledge capture and transfer - Mentor less experienced engineers
• Champion nuclear safety culture – Ensure compliance with GEH policies, quality management system, and corrective action program
• Deliver work with integrity, safety and security, quality, and then on-time output
Qualifications / Requirements:
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics or equivalent 4 year technical degree
• 15 years design, development, and deployment of electric power distribution systems for complex, high reliability, and in harsh environment facilities in the thermal or nuclear power, process, marine industries, etc.
• 10 years application engineering or field installation with heavy electrical equipment and components thereof including selection, sizing and analysis calculations, modeling and simulation, and qualification [environmental, seismic, embedded digital] to diverse industry standards (e.g.; IEEE, IEC, ASME)
• 10 years excellent knowledge, skill, and experience with PC and desktop engineering productivity software [e.g.; Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project, Visio] and computer aided design, modelling and analysis [e.g.; ETAP] as well as project collaboration tools
Additional Desired Characteristics:
• Master of Science in Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or Mathematics or equivalent 4 year technical degree
• Professional Engineer License
• PMI/PMP certified or proven project management experience.
• Solid experience with various quality standards; NQA-1, AS9000, ISO9000
• Solid experience with systems and component design, analysis, modeling, simulation, and test data collection tools [3KeyMaster, Easy5, Simulink, GSE Simsuite, LabView, MathCad, Mathmatica, MatLab, MatrixX, ETAP]
• Solid experience performing independent, or preferably team based, system design or technical reviews including interfacing with Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V) and quality assurance (QA) organizations
• Solid experience with structured systems and software development lifecycle methodologies including creation, use and stewardship of company standards, design practices, and guides for object-oriented design architectures, application code libraries, etc.
• Solid experience with functional, performance, margin and qualification [environmental, seismic, embedded digital] testing methods
• Solid experience with industry standards [ASME, IEEE, IEC] such as; IEEE Std 80, 81, 115, 242, 308, 317, 323, 338, 344, 379, 384, 450, 484, 485, 603, 665, 666, 741, 765, 1050, C37.06, C50.10, C50.13, C57.13, C62.23 and IEC Std 62855 supported by the 60034 thru 62305 series
• Solid experience with current US nuclear laws, rules, regulations, guidance, positions, memorandum, notices, bulletins, items, etc. from NRC [RG, NUREG, BTP, ISG, SRM, RIN, TMI], DOE, or international equivalent
• Clear thinker, detail oriented, insightful, quantitative, results oriented – Able to learn quickly and make reasoned, sound, and timely decisions
• Effective communication, cross- discipline and functional facilitation, and influencing skills, both verbal and written with focus on requirements, design basis document and technical presentation preparation and delivery
• Inclusive team player able to work successfully in matrix environment – Executing multiple assignments and priorities
• Able and willing to take ownership and responsibility for scoping, planning, prioritizing, scheduling, budgeting, action tracking, monitoring, corrective actions, reporting, etc.
• Self-starter with positive energy, bias for action, and proven track record of delivering on commitments and goals in a fast paced environment
• Continuous improvement “mindset” with an ability to identify, influence, and implement better ways to do an activity or process
• Excellent PC as well as personal and team productivity software [e.g.; Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio]
• Working knowledge, skill, and experience using techniques and tools for; design to cost, modeling and simulations, cost estimating, and scheduling