EPC Cost estimator
Role Summary/Purpose - Internal A Senior Cost Estimator is responsible for leading estimating efforts for preparation, presentation, and maintenance of turnkey EPC (Engineering, Procurement, & Construction) capital cost estimates for Company’s standard reactor plant designs and simultaneous global nuclear plant EPC projects. The successful candidate will be capable of developing conceptual through detail cost estimates, utilizing MS Excel and using estimating software, leading multidiscipline team members in performance of cost estimates, while collaborating with EPC partners. Further, this person will make formal estimating presentations to clients and executive management.
Essential Responsibilities • Plans, develops and presents Company’s capital cost estimates for projects as defined by an agreed-upon scope that will be used to make key management decisions
• Conducts EPC capital cost estimates for all disciplines (mechanical, electrical, civil, etc.) that may be order of magnitude, conceptual or full detail estimates, primarily focused on Company’s assigned Division of Responsibility (DOR) scope, i.e. licensing, design, engineering and equipment scopes
• Interfaces with EPC partners in lead or support role as defined by project, and perform should cost estimates as a secondary focus for EPC’s DOR scope including construction, considering material takeoffs, labor cost/productivity, material and labor indices, etc.
• Segregates estimate according to level of confidence and identifies estimate risk areas/items and mitigation plans
• Prepares cost studies utilizing historical data, indices/escalation, statistical analysis, and cost and quantity comparisons.
• Drives design-to-cost/value engineering methodology on development of standard plant design
• Works on cost-related support with Company Commercial Operations, Engineering, Project Management, Sourcing, Finance, Risk Management, Management and other groups within the organization
• Performs cash flow analysis and extrapolates cost curves based on experience of scheduled-activities and cost correlation analysis.
• Ensures proper maintenance, security, and dissemination of non-human cost estimating resources (software, databases, estimating hard and soft files, etc.)
• Prepares estimate basis and assumption documentation and maintains and ensures compliance with estimating operating procedures
• Reviews estimates for completion and technical accuracy ensuing quality and alignment with project scope, schedule and execution plan.
• Ensures lessons learned data from past projects is incorporated into cost estimating process
• Serves as a primary point of contact for Company cost estimating efforts and makes cost estimating presentations (internal and external)
Qualifications/Requirements • 10-15 years’ experience and in estimating large complex EPC projects with advanced understanding of estimate types, classifications, components, and tools, and understanding of all technical disciplines (civil, structural, architectural, mechanical, HVAC, piping, electrical, and instrumentation & controls) and associated quantity takeoffs
• 5-10 years’ experience in nuclear industry including nuclear power plant, decommissioning, remediation, and/or waste management projects
• Microsoft Excel power user including advanced skills such as pivot tables, charts, goal seek, vlookup, Monte Carlo analysis, macros, etc.
• Proficient in using estimating software (Success Estimator, Timberline, MC2, MCASES, Estimation, QuickPen, or equivalent)
• Familiarity with engineering and construction codes and standards.
• Adept in reading and understanding design/engineering specifications, process flow diagrams (PFD’s), piping and instrument diagrams (P&ID’s), electrical single-line diagrams (SLD’s), general arrangement drawings (GAD’s), elevation drawings, orthographic drawings, line lists, instrument lists, equipment lists, loop diagrams, electrical distribution diagrams, reflected plans, etc.
• Proficient in reading and understanding EPC commercial terms and conditions, general conditions, and their effects on capital cost, risk and required contingencies
• Technical writing skills (estimate basis, specifications, proposals, etc.)
• Proficient in using other MS Office software (Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Ability and comfort in creating and performing effective estimating presentations
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. In lieu of Degree, 15-20 years of related professional experience.
• Willingness to travel (domestic and international) as needed
Desired Characteristics • 5-10 years’ cost estimating experience specific to the nuclear industry on capital EPC projects
• 5-10 years’ experience in cost estimate supervision and/or project management and/or contract management on global EPC projects
• Experience or familiarity with Boiling Water Reactor (BWR) and Sodium Fast Reactor (SFR) designs
• Experience performing cost estimates on US government projects (DOE, DOD, etc.)
• Experience using scheduling software (Project, P3, P6, etc.)
• Past construction field craft experience and/or supervision of same on large industrial projects
• Experience in using 3-D models to estimate costs.